Friday, April 8, 2011

Hannah Fries

Hello, fellow teammates. Good to read a little about you all! I am very much looking forward to our time together this summer. I am a poet and, for the last six years, an editor at ORION magazine in Great Barrington, MA, which is in the Berkshire hills in the far western part of the state. It's a beautiful spot to be, with an amazing focus on local farms and food. I grew up in New Hampshire, though, where I also attended college (Dartmouth) and majored in English and minored in music (French horn, though I'm now trying to learn fiddle...), while also dipping into organic farming. Before I landed at Orion, I interned at The Frost Place center for poetry and the arts in Franconia, NH, and worked briefly at the University Press of New England. I started as an intern at Orion and am now associate editor and poetry editor. I also recently finished an MFA in poetry through the low-residency program at Warren Wilson College in North Carolina.

Orion has been a perfect fit for me in many ways, particularly for its combination of artfulness and urgency expressed through writing and visual art concerned with the intersections of nature and culture. (If you haven't yet, you may like to check out the article by Erik Reece on AMD&Art.) I have always been drawn to interdisciplinary projects and enjoy looking for connections between ways of thinking, figuring out how to shift perspective to get a larger picture of the whole.

My favorite place, and the place that feels most like home to me, is the White Mountains of New Hampshire. I love hiking, gardening, cross-country skiing, identifying trees and flowers and birds, and jumping in cold mountain streams. I think they have some of those in Colorado.

Here's the gorgeous elm tree at the top of the hill where I live:

1 comment:

  1. I'm a fan of Orion and the White Mountains. I hiked through there on the Appalachian Trail after high school. In Colorado you have to be up at about 10,000 feet to get weather as rugged as the Whites.

    ReplyDelete