Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Julia

Hello everyone,

I'm so excited to be doing this project in Colorado this summer as the team's cultural historian. I'm 28 and I live in Montreal, Quebec. I grew up in a very small town in northern Vermont, and I have a lifelong affection for the concerns of small towns. I did my BA in History & Literature, focusing on landscape, environment, and indigenous issues. I wrote my thesis about railroad development and the mythology of the West. I spent three years in Vermont working on small-town public history projects and getting to know the non-academic side of things.

I've been in Montreal for two years now -- I'm also a musician, and this is a good place to be for that -- and I'll be starting a Masters program in History at McGill here in the fall. I'm embarking on an academic career, but I want to do so while remaining involved in the current issues of communities, which I think are often very bound up in the tasks of understanding their own pasts, held in thrall to various old myths and images of what places mean. I'm also very excited to be collaborating with artists, something I hope to do more and more in the long term.

I'm hoping to get to do some hiking and swimming while in Lake City!

Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment