Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Lydia

Hi, you all.

I’m a visual artist and media maker based in Virginia. Much of my work revolves around landscape and history. Before getting a graduate degree in studio practice, I worked and lived in Appalachian Kentucky where I taught community documentary production to high school students and other folks in the coalfields. That experience provides me with some understanding of the issues that affect mining communities, although I’m sure every place is different.

I live out in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains and occasionally venture in to town to teach in the art department at the University of Virginia where I direct the new media program. For better or for worse, most of my art making happens on the computer now (more about that here). Alternately, I secretly dream of living off the grid and last year completed a certification in permaculture design. My hobbies include chopping wood and attempting to grow things.

I’m excited about this project and looking forward to meeting you all out West.

No comments:

Post a Comment